Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pay It Forward

You know that feeling you get when you do something nice for someone else? You don't necessarily have to go out of your way or exert much effort at all, the smallest of acts is really all it takes. And what you are left with is an overwhelming sense of happiness and reward.

I recently stumbled upon a blog about a woman who celebrated her 37th birthday by doing 37 different random acts of kindness. Some of the acts were small gestures, while others were really just refreshing to hear about. This story opened my eyes to the way I have been living lately, and really encouraged me to make some positive changes in my life.

Recently, I have really been letting people get to me (one person in particular... ahem my advisor). It has taken the encouraging words of wisdom from my mother to help me push forward when all I really want to do is just lay down and cry. But why do I let people get to me on this level? Why am I not able to shake things off and keep on moving?

The random acts of kindness story really made me question what is important in life. It's not the small things, it's not a grudge you have been holding onto, it's not deadlines and work; the important things in life revolve around genuine happiness. And there is nothing in this world that makes me feel so good as when I do something for someone else.

I started my own version of 'paying it forward' today with a customer at work. Something as small as giving someone a discount for the next time they visit really made them happy, which in turn made me very happy. I have had a smile on my face for the entire day because of this, and I plan to make an effort to do something small for someone everyday from now on.

What has made you happy today? And, more importantly, what have you done to bring about happiness today? Everyone can use a smile.

3 comments:

  1. It really is a life altering concept. Our human nature causes us to be self-absorbed. When we stretch ourselves to try to brighten someone else' day, our day improves as well. I would love to read that blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered a quote I once read: "This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day in your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever. In it's place is something that you have left behind. Let is be something good."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I'm so glad I got to see you at the game yesterday, if only for a few minutes! My Gladiola jacket worked great and I think it really showed up on the field:)

    ReplyDelete