Thursday, October 27, 2011

Do It Yourself

Recently, my obsession with Pinterest has gotten a little out of hand. I will catch myself pinning instead of getting reading done, or browsing the website for a new outfit idea. And now thanks to my roommate, I have enabled mobile Pinterest, so the pinning never stops. Just when I thought nothing could top Facebook....

I honestly could not live in a time without modern technology. Just the thought of surviving without a cell phone or a computer makes me feel ill. Therefore, I am utterly thankful for websites such as these that afford me with a little break from much dreaded "real life".
With that being said, I have been in a very crafty mood lately. I want to make something. I want to do something that makes me happy. I want to craft people! Whether it be making something in the kitchen, a piece of jewelry, or something to help me organize my life, tomorrow has been set aside as a "me" day.

Given some recent events that have taken place in my life, I have been thinking a lot. Thinking drives me crazy. I need to stop driving my own self crazy. What better way to take my mind off of things than to spend a day making things?
The fact that tomorrow is also the last nice day we will have in Boone for a few months doesn't hurt either. Who knows... maybe I will take my crafting outdoors! I really am not looking forward to the 40 degree weather coming our way. How do you look cute in 30 mph winds?! With a website like Pinterest, I'm sure there is an answer to this question.

Here are a few ideas that have really drawn my interest. Starting out small, I hope to make all of these things sooner than later.


Given my interest in "hippie bracelets" as my friends would like to call them, these DIY wrap bracelets would be the perfect addition to my collection. And instead of dropping big bucks to build a collection this big, I can make them for a fraction of the cost. And add a personal touch.


My jewelry obsession doesn't stop with bracelets, I have recently begun to purchase chunky necklaces. Thus far, I have been storing them in a jewelry organizer which can tangle them and bend them out shape. This easy DIY project consists of things I already have at home: A towel bar and shower hooks. How easy is that? Put this little number in my closet and complete organization will surely ensue.


This idea is one of my favorites. Instead of searching through your cosmetic bag, take an old frame, paint it whatever color your little heart desires, get a magnetic backing and some magnets and you are set to go. I am a very visual person, so being able to see everything right in front of my face is essential. Whoever came up with this idea, many thanks.


This idea is sew cute! Clever, eh? Take all those bobby pins that I use on a regular basis and add some flare. I love the vintage feel here. This DIY project may be asking a little too much out of my unexperienced self, but the idea is still tempting for the over-achiever in me.


Lastly, this little diddy is perfect for the monogramming inner freak in me. As I have stated before, I am completely obsessed with monograms. This DIY project is so easy. Take a backless frame and some stick-on decals and you have a masterpiece. With the right material and good monogramming skills, you could take this idea in many different directions.

Who knows? I may even get really adventurous and try my hand in the kitchen. But I think I already know how well that would turn out. I'm no Suzy Homemaker, so God bless the poor soul that has to eat anything I make. Pictures of my DIY project coming soon. Let's just keep our fingers crossed I don't injure myself in the time being trying to create a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment