Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Need People to Take Me Seriously

So it comes as no surprise that I like to have fun. I think laughing is one of the ultimate cures to any blues you may be experiencing. For as long as I can remember, I have always enjoyed joking around and making people laugh.

However, recently it seems as if I am the butt of all the jokes. Sometimes people take my sense of humor too literally. They think that this characteristic is the only thing that I am. This could not be further from the truth.

Believe it or not, there are other sides to me. There is a very affectionate side that is always there when a friend is going through a hard time or I simply want to show someone how much I appreciate them. There is the studious side, where I kick it into gear and really crank out a lot of work. Why else would I elect to be in school for so long? There is also a very calm, serious side where I do a lot of thinking and reflecting.

But most people don't know any of this. Why? Because even if I am having an awful day, it comes naturally to throw on a big smile and pretend nothing is wrong. So here lies the dilemma... How do I get people to take me seriously when I'm so used to goofing off?

While most people wear many different masks, I seem to be too attached to this silly one where I can't stop goofing off. Maybe it's time to exchange it for a more serious one...

No comments:

Post a Comment