Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Path Of Least Resistance

It is impossible to get anywhere in this town. When the sun comes out and the snow goes away for a few brief seconds, people are on the scene and crawling out of the woodworks. The traffic is also unbelievable for such a small little town. Who knew there could be this many Subarus on the open road?

This notion led me to believe that maneuvering around campus isn't as easy as it looks. It's actually like playing a modern day version of Frogger. I have to cross the street and hop over logs to get to my classes early in the morning (is this even fair that I have a 9 am class in grad school). Hopping over logs may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I do have to side-step a few obstacles to make sure I am seated and prepared for class by 9:05 (because I am never on time to begin with).
The fact that I have such difficulty merely crossing the road really got me thinking. What about bugs and other flying insects that have a certain destination they are trying to reach? You'll get where I'm going with this in a second.

Have you ever gone on long car trips to find that, upon reaching your destination, your windshield is covered with millions of splatters? News alert: these are millions of innocent insects you have massacred on your way. I wonder what goes through their tiny little brains.
I mean think about it.. The bugs are probably on their way to a friends house, maybe a dinner party, maybe picking up food for young ones at home.... whatever the case, the insects have a purpose for flying about. Imagine if a group of friends were flying over to go to another friends' party. Along the way a few comrades are lost to the automobile monsters.  When the other friends arrive at their destination, the host asks where are Bill and Susan? The remaining insects have to say, "We lost them on the way over". 

Does this scenario make sense? Do insects expect this type of thing to happen, or does it always come as a surprise when another insect falls victim to automobile abuse? Whatever the case may be, I am just grateful that I don't have wings and travel in packs where I may be hit by a car (most of the time). 

No comments:

Post a Comment