Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's Not Rocket Science

Today I decided what I want to be when I grow up (whenever that may be). After years and years of schooling, I have finally realized my true calling is babysitting.

I have babysat in the past. Some were angels (thank you Kathy Kargo for creating such sweet little things) and some were Lucifer reincarnate (names here will remain unknown). For the money you make, it's worth it in the end. Not to mention I have had much babysitting experience as of lately.
I have a cat (if you were unaware) that requires constant attention. Well, not really but that's what he gets anyway. Last night, my utterly irresponsible roommate let him outside where he sat for who knows how long?! George is in indoor kitty, he doesn't frolick with the common-folk. Upon my return home, my neighbors (who graciously sat outside with George until someone came home) informed me that they tried to knock on the door to let wittle kitty back inside. But, I guess from her love shack of a room, my roommate somehow could not hear the knocking.

To make a long story short, George is safe and I didn't completely rip my roommate's head off. I came to the conclusion that I needed to do a better job of babysitting; not George, but my roommate instead. She is in constant need of direction. I don't think she knows how to go to class without being told to. How can I expect her to follow any kind of directions if I don't teach her myself?
Most people would know that indoor animals should not be left outside (or let outside period). However, this special roommate of mine needs reminders and someone to watch over her non-stop. This is where my experience with younger children comes into play. I figured that mentally, my roommate is on the same level, so all I have to do is treat her like a child and lay things out in a manner that she can understand.

In the end, it's not all her fault that she was born with a tiny brain. That's science, and we can't mess with that. I just need to be in babysitter-mode more often when she is around and maybe baby proof the house so she doesn't get hurt while I'm gone.
God help her in the free world.

No comments:

Post a Comment